Iowa State University Painter in Ames, Iowa
Required Minimum Quals:• Four years of experience in the trade, including apprenticeship.
Under general supervision, position applies knowledge and skill at the journey level, to prepare surfaces and mix and apply paint, and performs other related duties.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares surfaces for refinishing by sanding, scraping, filling cracks and taping sheet rock; works from ground or floor level, from ladders, and from stationary and swing stages.
• Applies paint with brush, roller and sprayer; hangs wallpaper and vinyl and acoustical wall covering materials; glazes, refinishes and antiques woodwork; and mixes stains and paints.
• Determines method, materials, and equipment needed to complete job assignments.
• Keeps a record for each project: materials used, colors, textures, locations, dates, and tasks performed.
• Cleans and maintains brushes, rollers, sprayers and other tools and equipment.
• Cuts and sets glass and reputties windows and may perform plastering duties.
• Assists in directing the work of apprentices
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in the painting trade.
• Knowledge of the properties, purposes, preparation and uses of painting materials and tools.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
• Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools of the painting trade safely and skillfully.
• Ability to erect and work from ladders and scaffolds safely.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, architect drawings and verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to perform the full range of painting tasks independently.
• Ability to direct the work of others.
• Ability to work in extreme weather conditions, work at heights, and in environment that may have dust or fumes.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:July 29, 2020
Posting Close Time:
This posting will close at 12:00 AM CST on the date listed below. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.
Posting Close Date:August 9, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R2888
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here: https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation.
All postings close at 12:01 AM CST on the date listed. That said, the posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.