Airgas Usa LLC Plant Operator (Cylinder Loader/Filler) in Ankeny, Iowa
/Are you ready to grow sales and be part of a passionate and hard-working team eager to drive our business forward and exceed customer expectations?/
Apply Now and move your career forward with Airgas as a Plant Operator in Ankeny, IA!
/First shift - Monday through Friday!/
- * What you will do:
Performs any combination of following tasks on site in making or repackaging compressed and liquefied gas: Sorts empty cylinders being received by filling plant for refilling and performs necessary prefill inspection steps to qualify cylinders for refill. Examines returned cylinders for surface defects, such as dents, cracks, and burns, and rolls cylinders to designated work area. Responsible for safely handling and filling gas products into liquid, medical and high pressure gas cylinders in compliance with federal, state, local regulations, and meeting the standard operating procedures of Airgas. Loads cylinders on vehicles, using hand truck, chain hoist or forklift, and records type and quantity of cylinders.
Plant Operator responsibilities:
- Loads and unloads gas cylinders and/or other products onto and off of route trucks and trailers moving cylinders with proper carts only.
- Sorts empty cylinders by type.
- Rolls cylinders and operates a forklift truck for the movement of cylinders on pallets.
- Understands hazards of various gases; size and contents of cylinders by reading and interpreting cylinder labels and the color-coding of tanks. Accurately labels cylinders.
- Handles high-pressure, medical and liquid cylinders. Prepares high pressure cylinders and cryogenic vessels for filling. Attaches to manifold, evacuates cylinders to eliminate all possible contaminants.
- Performs basic cylinder maintenance such as painting cylinders, labeling cylinders, and cleaning of work area.
- Inspects cylinders prior to filling, following standard procedures as required by government, Airgas, and distributor standards. Conducts a variety of Safety checks per procedures, such as odor tests, checking caps and valves. Fills cylinders by pressure and weight, per regulations and standards.
- Checks for cylinder quantities, styles and product, and/or assists with inventory
- Manages paperwork to DOT, FDA, OSHA, and Airgas standards. Completes quality control sheets as required.
- Complies with all government and company standards relating to the safe handling of hazardous materials/cylinder gases.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly plant appearance
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will have:
- HS Diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of one year of prior experience in a manufacturing operation, filling or loading experience preferred.
- Strong background in gas, welding and safety supply industry or chemical industry preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong level of attention to detail.
- Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages.
- Ability to safely operate a forklift.
- Able to smell and hear leaking gas from cylinders.
- Occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or use a calculator or computer; and reach with hands and arms
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and move up to 800 pounds with the aid of material handling equipment.
- Lives by Airgas safety programs, OSHA, and all related rules, regulations, procedures which are applicable to this position’s responsibilities.
We take care of you:
Airgas offers a full benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation, Sick, Paid Holidays, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match, Tuition Assistance and much more!
Who we are:
Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is the leading U.S. supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases, as well as hardgoods and related products; one of the largest U.S. suppliers of safety products; and a leading U.S. supplier of ammonia products and process chemicals.
Dedicated to improving the performance of its more than one million customers, Airgas safely and reliably provides products, services and expertise through its more than 18,000 associates, over 1,100 locations, robust e-Business platform, and Airgas Total Access® telesales channel. As an Air Liquide company, the world leader in gases, technology and services for Industry and Health, Airgas offers customers an unrivaled global footprint and industry-leading technology and innovations.
Check out what a career at Airgas can offer you!
What do our Team Members have to say about being part of the team?
“Great place to work with great growth potential” - Director, Atlanta
“Opportunity to advance and a great safety program” - Driver, Cheshire
“Fun people to work with and flexible management” - Sales Specialist
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability
Title: Plant Operator (Cylinder Loader/Filler)
Requisition ID: 30944