GAF Asphalt Operations Corporate Project Engineer in Davenport, Iowa
Come Build Your Career Under OUR Roof
Corporate Project Engineer Asphalt Operations Job Description:
The Asphalt Capital Project Engineer is responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient use of Asphalt capital resources and is accountable for defining/executing capital investment projects in GAF’s 6 Asphalt Plants. Projects they will lead are essential to support both top-line and bottom-line company growth which may include but are not limited to: maintaining existing infrastructure to sustain safe, stable, and reliable operations; growing infrastructure to expand existing capabilities; deployment of new technology to expand our ability to consistently process a wide range of asphalt streams. The Asphalt Capital Project Engineer will also assist in creating reliability systems along with supporting the manufacturing facilities in order to provide optimum operational conditions in the safest and most cost effective manner.
The successful candidate is a leader of capital project processes and of people: He/she must manage projects by guiding process owners---Operations Managers and manufacturing staff, Process Engineers, Capital Sourcing--- through the project schedule to perform on time and on budget.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
○ Provide direct oversight for the safe deployment of large capital projects across the Asphalt Operations network.
○ Develop project scopes with input from key stakeholders, including plant, R&D, and Asphalt Subject Matter Experts (SME’s). Develop capital approval requests (AFCE’s) as needed; ensure the requested funding is consistent with all project requirements so that the approved amount is not exceeded.
○ Analyze all facets of proposed projects and provide detailed cost, schedule, and justification estimates to support capital expenditures. Interface with maintenance and production to ascertain and identify operational maintenance problems and opportunities. Conduct engineering and project analysis and follow through with major and minor project recommendations, justification and implementation. Apply engineering principles including modeling and simulation with external vendors and consultants.
○ Manage all aspects of multiple projects including design construction, vendor management, cost tracking, operational interfaces and operations preparation, and startup. Analyze systems, research options, and determine the most optimum cost/benefit relationship to deliver capital projects.
○ Lead/participate in cross-functional corporate and plant teams investigating opportunities to improve and expand GAF’s processes and products, and business opportunities ○ Coordinate between contractors, vendors, and GAF to manage, engineer, and implement projects in the smoothest and most efficient manner without causing production delays or upsets.
○ Engage in process start -up operation, problem solving , and process improvement ○ Support multi-plant network with troubleshooting, design, maintenance, and loss prevention assistance when needed.
○ A BS Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical with Mechanical preferred) coupled with a minimum of 10 years project management experience.
○ 5 years in refinery or chemical processing manufacturing (preferred)
○ The ideal candidate will have a proven background in managing projects with budgets of $1MM-$40MM.
○ Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplines as project manager and supervise others as a lead engineer.
○ Demonstrated ability to work with and provide expertise in maintenance, operations, and process.
○ Thorough knowledge and experience with computers and Gsuite/MSOffice. Drafting experience with CAD, preferably Auto CAD, is preferred.
○ Remote locations are acceptable, provided they are within one hour of a large or major airport.
○ Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S., without current or future requirement for sponsorship of an employment-based visa status
○ Advanced knowledge of standard manufacturing concepts, practices, & procedures ○ Advanced ability to read and interpret specifications and drawings
○ Advanced proficiency using root cause analysis and Kepner-Trego or other structured methods to troubleshoot and solve problems
○ Advanced ability to translate technical data into a format/language suitable for operations and maintenance personnel
○ Experience in process hazard analysis and process safety management
○ Advanced knowledge of engineering fundamentals
○ Advanced proficiency in mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatics
○ Ability to respond to requests in a professional and timely manner.
○ Strong planning, prioritization, organizational and reporting skills.
○ Independent problem-solving skills.
○ Positive attitude, ability to adapt and contribute to a team environment is critical.
○ Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
○ Frequent sitting, walking and standing; occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and balancing.
○ Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
○ Required to sit, stand, walk and use hands to grasp, handle or feel objects, tools and product samples.
○ Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
○ Must have the ability to differentiate colors precisely.
○ Required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel or crouch. ○ Ability to perform detailed testing processes in various process conditions. ○ Frequent use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of manufacturing equipment and machinery.
○ Ability to read and concentrate via computer data entry typing and proofreading. ○ Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
No of direct reports: n/a
No of indirect reports: n/a
Travel Requirements: 50-60%
We believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k, and vacation packages for all full time permanent positions. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and GAF, Standard Logistics, SGI, and Siplast are proud to be affirmative action employers. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. If applying for positions in the U.S., must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).
- GAF Jobs