CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY Engineer in Training in DAVENPORT, Iowa
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As an Engineer in Training, you will be expected to provide CPKC with effective project and construction management of internally and externally funded railway projects; including track, bridges, structures or other related facilities. The successful candidate will conduct feasibility studies, site reconnaissance, site surveying, project development and conceptual and detailed engineering design. The individual will also be responsible to direct and coordinate site work activities associated with assigned projects ensuring completion within targeted budget and finish dates. This is a development role with opportunities for near term advancement.
- Directly manage the execution of assigned projects and deliver projects within defined scope, on time and on budget
- Oversee design and permitting of assigned projects
- Provide direction and oversight to engineering consultants working on CPKC projects
- Prepare cost estimates, memos, technical reports and external correspondence
- Provide conceptual design alternatives for internal business case reviews
- Coordinate work activities with internal and external departments and customers to ensure the safe, cost-effective and responsive execution of projects and programs
- Provide construction management of assigned projects
- Represent CPKC at meetings with Public Agencies where coordination/approval is required for project execution
- Provide timely and responsive service to Business Development for 3rd party customer projects
- Review 3rd party customer and/or external projects to ensure CPKC Standards are met and CPKC operations are not impacted
- Provide safety leadership through efficiency testing and job site safety audits
- Provide on-call support and response on a rotating cycle for incidents and emergencies to support CPKC's 24/7 operation
- Requires travel when necessary to visit project sites and manage on site work
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering - Civil (Mechanical or Industrial backgrounds will be considered)
- Must be P.Eng eligible
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience (co-op experience considered)
- Must have valid driver's license
- Knowledge of track maintenance practices would be an asset
- Strong problem-solving skills and decision-making skills
- Strong data analysis experience required
- Must be proficient with MS Office, experience with SAP would be an asset
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Strong leadership and technical skills
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is asafety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
Background Investigatio :
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
Criminal history check
Driver's License Verification