CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY Summer Intern (Civil Engineer) in DAVENPORT, Iowa
- Req ID: 100276
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Davenport, Iowa
- Country: United States
- \% of Travel: 80-90%
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
We are hiring 3 interns running May through August, based in Davenport, IA. This is an exciting (paid) opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the dynamic, fast-paced Railway industry and to work under an Assistant Chief Engineer! Students will be provided with accommodations if they do not reside in Davenport.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
As Summer Intern in the Structures group you will provide CP with construction management of railway projects. Responsibilities include construction oversight of bridge and culvert projects across Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota; direct and coordinate site work activities associated with assigned projects; and lead safe work execution in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Directly manage the execution of assigned projects;
- Deliver projects within defined scope, timeline and budget;
- Execute work in accordance with plans and specifications;
- Provide safety leadership through job site safety audits;
- Prepare daily construction progress reports; and
- College Junior or Senior enrolled in an accredited Civil Engineering Program;
- Primary emphasis in Railway Engineering, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or Construction Management preferred;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills combined with ability to primarily work in a field environment;
- Valid US driver\'s license for travel to project sites (company vehicle will be provided); and
- Requires 90% travel to visit crews and manage on-site work across Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The selected candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Last 7 Years employment history
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.