BH Management Services Inc. Director of Design & Development in Des Moines, Iowa
DIRECTOR OF DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
Reporting to the CEO/Owner, the Director of Design & Development is responsible for performing technical architectural work in the design and development of plans for alterations and repairs to properties in the BH Management Services, LLC portfolio. The individual is responsible for designing, planning, and drafting detailed specifications for alterations and repair projects to existing buildings or new building construction projects under the direct supervision and guidance of the President and Director of Construction. Work involves contact and negotiation with internal and external stakeholders such as owners, vendors, and BH team members.
*About BH Management: *
BH Management’s roots date back to 1993 when Harry Bookey formed the company with a roster of just five apartment communities. Today, our founder continues to lead the firm, serving as inspiration for its 1,600-plus employees. BH Management currently has over 220 communities spread over multiple states and is continuously growing. This ranks BH Management Services 12th out of the 50 largest management companies in the United States. What may be less obvious, however, is how we got here. Our guiding principles are simple and direct. First, invest in employees—they are the front line of our team and the foundation of our success. Second, go above and beyond to satisfy customers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Exhibits strong commitment to the service needs of the internal and external stakeholders.
- Represents the company in a professional and courteous manner.
- Oversees and approves architectural drawings and permit sets for the proposed renovation of the clubhouses, leasing offices and fitness centers
- Oversees and approves construction Scope & Specification books outlining the work to be done and materials to be used
- Presents renovation concepts to the Client and manages communication and troubleshooting of any issues throughout the process
- Engages 3rd party architects and rendering companies and oversees the production of deliverables
- Reviews, approves and manages amenity renovation budget in collaboration with Acquisition Department
- When necessary, participates in reviewing and making recommendations regarding the bids received from contractors following Acquisition Construction Representative’s thorough review and recommendations.
- Participates in selecting the IWO packages and developing interactive IWO library along with cost estimates in conjunction with Interior Design and Purchasing Manager
- Oversees the development of furniture layouts and space plans in coordination with Interior Design and Purchasing Manager
- Participates in Vision Walk process with respect to new acquisitions and creating the Value Add plan with cost projections along with Operations, Construction and Acquisition Departments.
- Manages contract agreements with Clients and 3rd party architects and rendering companies
- Reviews and approves hardscape and landscape plans provided by the 3rd party landscape architect in conjunction with Interior Design and Purchasing Manager.
- Supervise and direct staff Architect
- Travel as needed to meet business needs
- Other duties as assigned
- MS in Architectural Design or Construction Management & 2 years of experience as architect or as Construction Manager
- Experience in adaptive reuse, building renovations and building conversions; assessing & evaluating architectural and structural condition of both wood frame and concrete block existing building systems
- Knowledge of International Building Code standards as set forth in ADA, Fire, Occupancy and Residential Codes
- Market research knowledge/experience and ability to evaluate potential profitability of different proposed architectural designs
- Ability to develop permit sets & architectural and construction documents in AutoCAD and construction scopes and specification for commercial and multi-family residential projects
- Developing project cost estimates and budgets for different phases of project development; overseeing project development during construction phases, in order to assure quality control; interior space planning of small residential and hospitality units
- Experience/knowledge in the evaluation of Return On Investment (ROI) projections for proposed architectural design for multi-family and commercial projects
- Development of building 3D models in 3DS Max; renderings and virtual tour in V-Ray rendering engine; development of 2D plans, sections, elevations and fabrication details in AutoCAD; coloring in Photoshop CS6.
- Travel as needed to meet business needs
Physical Requirements/Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug Free workplace. Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and drug screen.
Location: Corporate - Des Moines
# of openings: 1