Shermco Industries Electrical Power Systems Field Engineer in Des Moines, Iowa
Since 1974, Shermco has become North America’s largest and fastest growing NETA-accredited electrical testing organization. Our focus is to make sure electrical power systems are functioning properly and safely. Add to that our Professional Engineering Group, Rotating Machinery Division, Renewable Energy Services, and Field Repair and local Repair Service Centers, places Shermco in a position to handle all things electrical. All done with an emphasis on safety and client service. That’s why we say… if it’s in the electrical power system, Shermco does it.
Backed by Gryphon Investors, a leading private equity firm focused on profitably growing and competitively enhancing middle-market companies in partnership with experienced management, Shermco is poised for the next decade and beyond.
Electrical Power Systems Field Engineer
Join our team of leaders in electrical power system maintenance, repair, testing, engineering, & training. Due to continued growth, we are seeking Electrical Power Systems Field Engineer to work in our Des Moines, Iowa Service Center. Shermco Industries is a founding member of NETA and has one of the largest field services divisions in the industry.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Work as a Professional Engineer (PE) to grow our electrical engineering services.
- Perform engineering work that includes, but not limited to:
- Design electrical systems including substations, switchgear and motor control centers and follow through installation to commissioning.
- Power factor analysis and correction--install power quality meters and conduct analysis, harmonic modeling and analysis, and grounding analysis.
- Troubleshoot switchgear controls and relay protection systems.
- Conduct short-circuit, protective device coordination, and arc-flash studies.
- Mentor a small group of Power Systems Electrical Engineers, in the support of our customers.
- Ensure that electrical engineering analysis, troubleshooting, and studies are conducted according to IEEE and NFPA standards, and Shermco excellence.
- Review and approve ongoing and completed engineering work ensuring deadlines are met, and work is completed with accuracy and high quality.
- Occasionally work in the field assisting on shut-downs, startups and maintenance projects
- Make onsite visits to customer sites and interact with customers to gather critical information, resolve project issues, customer concerns, and review engineering plans.
- Work with sales staff on the estimating and bidding of new projects; co-present project proposal to prospective customers.
Minimum Qualifications to qualify for consideration, you must meet each of the following minimum qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering; prefer educational focus in Power Systems studies.
- Licensed Electrical Engineer in the State of Iowa, or the ability to attain in 6 months, is a plus.
- At least 5 years of field experience power systems, preferably with electrical switchgear commissioning, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Must have knowledge and experience with short-circuit, protective device coordination, arc-flash and power quality studies.
- Previous experience with SKM, ETAP, or EasyPower system modeling software is desired.
- Must have experience with low and medium voltage applications. High voltage is a plus.
- Experience applying and testing protection relays is highly desired. A working knowledge of relay logic implementation with Schweitzer (SEL), Basler, GE, ABB, and Siemens relays is desired. Electro-mechanical relay experience is a plus.
- Prefer utility design experience or able to quickly learn.
- Willingness to be hands-on and work in the field alongside our field engineers and field technicians during customer outage periods.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate in English via verbal and written methods to customers and co-workers.
- Previous supervisory or project leadership experience a plus.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Must be able to crawl, climb, stand and lift up to 100 lbs., with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be able to pass a fit for duty physical exam.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and currently have and be able to maintain a good driving record.
- Must be available for regular overnight domestic travel and occasional international travel
- U.S. passport & TWIC card a plus.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours and overtime, and occasional weekends, holidays and nights.
- If applying for position, must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).
- Must be willing to travel; minimum 40%.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER | DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Shermco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Shermco is a drug-free workplace.
_NO AGENCIES PLEASE_
No Agencies Please. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco from a third party, such as an Agency, including unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Shermco System Integration employees, or to Shermco System Integration resume database will be considered Shermco property. Shermco will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.