Ford Motor Company EV Systems Engineer in Des Moines, Iowa
We are the movers of the world and the makers of the future. We get up every day, roll up our sleeves and build a better world -- together. At Ford, we’re all a part of something bigger than ourselves. Are you ready to change the way the world moves?
Define requirements for electric vehicle propulsion systems, components, and controls that optimize vehicle performance, energy use, and cost. Define the requirements for operation of the battery, electric motors, electrical system, cooling system, regenerative braking system, and powertrain control system to ensure that the vehicle targets are met under a variety of conditions. Evaluate new architectures, new technologies, and new designs that have the potential to improve vehicle attributes, such as acceleration, driving range, charging time, consistency of performance, and cost. Integrate subsystems and new technologies to ensure error-free operation.
What you'll do...
• Analyze mechanical and electric power flow in electric powertrains
• Create methods to convert vehicle targets into powertrain system functional requirements for battery, electric motors, transmission, and driveline
• Convert powertrain operating conditions into requirements for support systems (e. g. cooling system, high voltage and low voltage electrical systems, regenerative brake system, and feature control systems), and gain consensus among affected subsystem owners on controls and hardware compatibility
• Write requirements that ensure proper operation of electric powertrains in various vehicle use case scenarios and environmental conditions
• Run simulations of powertrain operation, vehicle performance, electric driving range, and energy consumption.
• Develop mathematical models and calculation tools to standardize and automate analytical methods
• Perform testing, data collection, and data processing in support of attribute and capability assessments
• Evaluate cost and benefits of new technologies, evaluate their impact on system functions and error states, and define related subsystem requirements to integrate the technologies into the vehicle
• Identify, develop, and implement desired improvements to engineering processes
• Lead / support milestone reviews of the system definition, requirements, and capability
• Lead implementation of project tasks to meet project timelines
• Create written summaries of projects and lead project reviews with affected teams
• Develop actions addressing lessons learned from previous programs
• Create and publish systems documentation including architecture and functional diagrams, high-level specifications for subsystems, and system-level failure mode avoidance documents
• B.S. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field of study
• 3+ years of engineering work experience outside of college
• 2+ years of engineering work experience in product design
• 1+ years of work experience using mathematical modeling/simulation software
Even better, you may have...
• M.S. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field of study
• 6+ years of engineering work experience
• 2+ years of automotive engineering experience
• Demonstrated strong analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to organize and track tasks and drive them to completion
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
• Skilled in clearly and concisely communicating technical information in both verbal and written form
• Ability to create and verify mathematical models using commonly-available modeling software
• Knowledge of electrified vehicle and subsystem operating principles
• Knowledge of system engineering principles
• Knowledge of powertrain controls and calibration
• Knowledge of statistics and big data
• Experience developing component or system requirements
• Experience working globally across cultural and organizational boundaries
You may not check every box, or your experience may look a little different from what we've outlined, but if you think you can bring value to Ford Motor Company, we encourage you to apply!
As an established global company, we offer the benefit of choice. You can choose what your Ford future will look like: will your story span the globe, or keep you close to home? Will your career be a deep dive into what you love, or a series of new teams and new skills? Will you be a leader, a changemaker, a technical expert, a culture builder…or all of the above? No matter what you choose, we offer a work life that works for you, including:
• Immediate medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Flexible family care, parental leave, new parent ramp-up programs, subsidized back-up child care and more
• Vehicle discount program for employees and family members, and management leases
• Tuition assistance
• Established and active employee resource groups
• Paid time off for individual and team community service
• A generous schedule of paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
• Paid time off and the option to purchase additional vacation time.
For a detailed look at our benefits, click here:
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status. In the United States, if you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability, please call 1-888-336-0660.
Requisition ID : 16104
Ford Motor Company
- Ford Motor Company Jobs