City of Des Moines Fire Protection Engineer in Des Moines, Iowa
Fire Protection Engineer
Fire Protection Engineer
$76,460.80 - $96,907.20 Annually
Des Moines, IA
10/5/2018 5:00 PM Central
Location of Vacancy
Des Moines Fire Department
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE RATING: An education and experience rating will be completed on all qualified applications. Those applicants deemed most qualified based on education and experience may be scheduled for an oral examination. Qualified applicants with a disability who need a reasonable accommodation must inform this office by the application date.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
This is responsible professional and supervisory work developing and implementing fire protection engineering programs and services.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Fire Protection Engineering or closely related academic field. Two years experience in professional fire protection engineering work or a closely related field preferred, but not required.
College transcripts must be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail or hand delivery to 602 Robert D. Ray Drive, Des Moines, IA 50309 on or before the application deadline date. Failure to do so will result in application disqualification.
Required Special Qualifications
• Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
• Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
• Engineering-In-Training (EIT) or License in the State of Iowa as a Professional Engineer preferred.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
• Reviews, evaluates, and approves building plans and specifications; plans for sprinkler systems; fire alarm systems; standpipe systems; special hazard protection systems; and water supply installations from a fire protection engineering perspective. Review petitions for variances and develops the Department's position on such requests.
• Participates in the Fire Department's new construction inspection program. Supervise staff in the completion of required tests and inspections relative to fire protection aspects of new construction projects and fire protection systems. Supervise the certification of buildings for occupancy and the acceptance of the fire protection systems and/or determine specific requirements for correction.
• Provides high-level fire protection engineering expertise and consultation to other Sections of the Fire Department. Assists with planning and researching future needs of the Fire Department. Provides on-scene technical support at emergency incidents. Provides information on property fire protection features, equipment or devices and on structural conditions or hazards to the incident commander. Assists with fire investigation as to origin and cause.
• Provide specialized fire protection engineering consultation to other City departments, architects, engineers, property owners, contractors, etc., as appropriate.
• Coordinates the detailed development and revision of related fire codes and ordinances for protection of life, property and preservation of the environment. Works with state and local officials in the code development process, as appropriate.
• Maintains knowledge of current technological advances related to fire protection engineering. Performs specialized research applicable to fire protection issues. Maintains a high level of technical expertise by attending schools and seminars where applicable. Develops and recommends policies and procedures relating to fire prevention, fire protection, and fire inspection practices. Recommends policy and procedural changes in fire prevention and suppression activities as appropriate.
• Prepares and presents training programs for Fire Department personnel in areas related to fire protection systems, fire chemistry, special hazards, inspection techniques and building construction.
• Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
• Communicates and coordinates regularly with others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of departmental operations and activities;
• Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.