Felsburg Holt & Ullevig Traffic Engineer in Des Moines, Iowa
Felsburg Holt & Ullevig (FHU) is seeking an experienced self-motivated mid-level engineer with demonstrated success at implementing advanced analytical tools, techniques and project management skills to deliver transportation operations and safety solutions. This position offers Project management and technical responsibilities, and an accelerated career growth opportunity is present for the right candidate.
This position can be located in Omaha, NE; Lincoln, NE; or Des Moines, IA.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Works on and manages a range of projects, including small to mid-sized traffic engineering projects, traffic engineering tasks and/or larger multi-disciplinary projects
· Responsible for overseeing data collection, technical analyses, and written documentation
· Perform technical traffic analysis to identify traffic operations and safety related deficiencies for all modes
· Develop travel demand forecasts for current and future conditions
· Participates in and presents project findings in writing and at client meetings, technical group gatherings, and day or evening public meetings/hearings
· Applies microsimulation, (e.g. VISSIM, TransModeler) and/or capacity analysis (e.g. Synchro/SimTraffic, SIDRA), modeling software and equipment to prepare engineering and traffic report documents
· Identify mitigation alternatives or safety countermeasures to correct deficiencies for current and future traffic conditions
· Evaluate alternatives and document measures of effectiveness to recommend proposed improvements
· Traffic Design - Development of alternatives and design/construction plans to maintain traffic during construction of transportation improvements
· Signing, pavement marking, and traffic signal design - prepare design/ construction documents for permanent signing, pavement marking, and traffic signal plans based on MUTCD guidance and standards
· Participates in business development efforts and assists with mentoring and project-related management of staff
· Responsible for job specific quality system tasks as defined in the FHU quality manual
· Oversees and directs the analytical work of other engineers and planners
· Participates in the planning, estimation, and preparation of as proposals as well other competitive project pursuit elements such as client interviews
· Assist in the development of proposals to secure new business for traffic related work and as part of multi-discipline projects
Knowledge of traffic engineering guidance documents (e.g. MUTCD, ITE, NACTO, AASHTO) and industry best practices.
· Ability to manage traffic engineering projects from start to finish and participate in management of larger multi-disciplinary projects.
Education and/or experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in civil/transportation engineering from an accredited four-year college or university required. Master’s Degree with a concentration in Transportation Engineering is a plus.
· Five or more years of experience in transportation operations and safety roles with specific experience preparing traffic impact analyses, safety studies, signal & communications designs, signal timings, and/or major feasibility studies.
· Certificates, licenses, registrations: Professional Engineer Certificate or active pursuit of Professional Engineer Certificate in Nebraska or Iowa. Professional Transportation Operations Engineer (PTOE) Certification and Road Safety Professional (RSP) is a plus.
At FHU we seek to provide a benefits package that helps our team maintain a healthy work-life balance - a concept that is a guiding principle for us. Employees enjoy benefits including:
Medical/RX, HSA, Dental, Vision, Life, and Disability; all of which FHU contributes a significant portion towards or, for some plans, covers 100% of the premiums
Generous Vacation and Sick leave programs
401(k) with employer match
Adoption Assistance program
Flexible schedules & Remote works options
Professional and career development opportunities including tuition reimbursement for continuing education.
Support of employee participation in professional and technical societies & various civic organizations.
Reimbursement of professional certification and registration fees.
FHU Employees are encouraged to participate in a variety of internal committees which include groups such as the Technology Committee, CAD Committee, FHUlanthropy Committee and the FHUn Committee, which plans multiple events that keep energy (and bragging rights) high and helps us remain a tight-knit team. We also enjoy many opportunities to socialize at various FHU sponsored events throughout the year.