WindStream Communications Construction Tech-Splicer in Knoxville, Iowa
/"Windstream is considered an essential business and we are HIRING NOW. As our company responds to COVID-19, the safety and wellbeing of our employees, customers, partners and communities is our top priority.”/
About the Role:
Construction Technician - Splicer is responsible forsplicing various sizes of fiber optic and copper cables in both outdoor and indoor settings, including reading, creating and maintaining splicing schematics and diagrams; maintain control of outside plant (OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s), supporting project timelines;maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety, manhole safety and general on-site project oversight attending safety meetings as requested; daily record keeping (fiber route details, slack locations, splice locations and updating drawings) with any changes; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, outside plant construction and any tasks associated with outside plant construction. The job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby, unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs.
What You’ll Do:
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment as required.
- Splice fiber optic and copper cables including both loose tube and ribbon optic cables. Construct a proper splice case, including but not limited to grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers’ instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes to support project contracts as required.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues including hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control as required.
- Outside plant construction tasks.
- Other work as assigned.
- 1 year of copper and/or fiber cable splicing experience.
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete all paperwork accurately and on-time.
*Desired Qualifications: *
- 5 or more years of experience, including pole climbing.
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing Certifications)
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance Plans
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identify Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet Insurance
Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced network communications and technology solutions for consumers, small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across the U.S.
Primary Location: *US-Iowa-Knoxville
Job Category: Bargaining
Requisition ID: 21002342
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.
- WindStream Communications Jobs