Shermco Industries Electrical Power Engineer in Ottumwa, Iowa
*Electrical Engineer - Power Systems Field Engineer *
Join our team of leaders in electrical power system maintenance, repair, testing, engineering, and training. Due to continued growth, we are seeking experienced Electrical Engineers with field experience and strong knowledge of Power Systems to work at a customer location in Eddyville, IA. Shermco Industries is accredited by NETA and is the largest independent electrical testing company in North America.
We offer the opportunity to develop and utilize a broad engineering skill set at accelerate pace. Shermco is an ideal fit for smart, motivated Power Systems Engineers that want to continuously learn and solve complex problems. We don't sit in the office all day doing the same repetitive tasks; instead we work closely with our customers to provide unique engineering solutions not offered by traditional consulting or field-service firms. If you are bored with calculating feeder sizes or modifying the same design over-and-over again; or, if you are a field engineer looking to do more design and analysis, Shermco may be the place for you. Our engineers work in a dynamic environment where there are no limits on personal or professional growth.
Job Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Perform engineering work, including analysis, studies and design, including:
- Power factor analysis and correction, install power quality meters and conduct analysis, harmonic modeling and analysis, and grounding analysis.
- Troubleshooting switchgear and relay controls electrical systems.
- Conduct short-circuit, protective device coordination and arc-flash studies.
- Mentor a small group of Power Systems Electrical Engineers, in the support of our customers.
- Ensure that electrical engineering analysis, troubleshooting, and studies are conducted according to IEEE and NFPA standards and Shermco excellence.
- Review and approve ongoing and completed engineering work; ensure that deadlines are met and work is completed with accuracy and high quality.
- Occasionally work in the field assisting on shut-downs, startups and maintenance projects
- Make onsite visits to customer sites and/or interact with customers to gather critical information, resolve project issues, customer concerns, and review engineering plans.
- Work with sales staff on the estimating and bidding of new projects; co-present project proposal to prospective customers.
Minimum Qualifications to qualify for consideration, you must meet each of the following minimum qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering; prefer educational focus in Power Systems studies.
- At least 2 years of field experience with relevant power systems preferably with electrical switchgear and testing.
- Must have experience and knowledge with short-circuit, protective device coordination, arc-flash and power quality studies.
- Must have experience with a power system modeling software tool such as SKM, ETAP, ASPEN, Easy Power, or similar software.
- Must have experience with low, medium and high-voltage.
- Protection and Control SEL Relay testing experience highly desired; prefer experience with or ability to quickly learn to write relay logic, including Schweitzer (SEL), Basler, GE, ABB, Siemens, etc.
- Prefer utility design experience or have the ability to quickly learn.
- Willingness to be hands-on and work in the field alongside our engineers and field technicians.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate in English via verbal and written methods, and be comfortable and effective doing so directly to customers and co-workers.
- Professional Engineer P.E. preferred.
- Previous supervisory or project leadership experience a plus.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic, unannounced random drug tests.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and currently have and be able to maintain a good driving record.
- If applying for position, must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER | DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
No Agencies Please
Any unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco Industries from a third party, such as an Agency, including unsolicited resumes sent to Shermco Industries mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Shermco Industries employees, or to Shermco Industries resume database will be considered Shermco Industries property. Shermco Industries will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.