SUMMIT FIRE PROTECTION CO dba Summit Companies Design - Sprinkler in Urbandale, Iowa
Summit Fire Protection is a premier firm in the Fire Sprinkler and Fire Life Safety industry with offices throughout the Midwest.
We are currently seeking a Fire Sprinkler Designer to join our team at our Des Moines office.
This is a great opportunity for the right individual to join a well-established, industry-leading fire protection contracting company and work on unique projects from all different types of industries from single-family homes to large industrial power plants. The position requires a self-motivated, internally driven individual with above-average attention to detail and exemplary communication skills.
- Responsible for Fire Sprinkler layout/design work on multiple projects according to all codes, insurance, and according to the contracted scope of work. Completes permit drawings and hydraulic calculations. Will apply knowledge of system operations and follow planned blueprint instructions, (i.e. Architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, and civil drawings).
- Designers should have a strong understanding of commercial, residential, or industrial building construction.
- The individual will be required to design/draw all jobs using CPVC and/or Steel pipe. Drawings will be done using AutoCAD, version 2016 or newer, be neat and orderly, and shall contain all pertinent information for installation of all projects in the field. The designer should achieve a yearly average of 100% or less of estimated engineering labor costs.
- A designer will be required to hydraulically calculate each job drawn. All lists that are submitted should be correct when compared to what is actually installed. Purchasing and Fabrication list must be prepared and given to the appropriate departments in a timely manner.
- The designer will be required to submit each job\'s drawings to the proper authorities in a timely manner. All submittals should include the correct number of plans, all related material data, and calculations. A designer will be responsible for submitting to contractors, subcontractors (if applicable), proper insurance companies, and building officials for approval.
- A designer will be responsible for following up on plans to ensure each job is permitted properly and does not delay progress. Individuals must process good communication skills with all managers and field personnel so that pertinent information is given out effectively.
- Designers will be required to keep track of all jobs. An individual will give contractors and owners accurate information in regards to the progress and design requirements. The individual will be responsible for making any corrections to the plans to reflect any changes made in the field.
- The designer must be self-motivated to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously and capable of responding to changing priorities.
- Must consider safety at all times while in the office or on a project site.
- Associate\'s degree in design or construction and at least 2 years of experience with AutoCAD is preferred.
- 2 years of experience in the construction industry and will know how to read blueprints (i.e. architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, and civil drawings).
- Experience with installing fire sprinkler systems and performing hydraulic analysis.
- Although not required, any additional experience with SprinkCAD design software (or similar application) and MS Office would be a preferred
Our compensation and benefits package is highly competitive and we will negotiate hourly and bonus package with the successful candidate. Our benefits include 401(k) elections with an Employer Match for eligible employees. We also provide options of Medical, Dental, and Vision as well as FSA and voluntary benefits. Summit also pays for Life and ADandD insurance as well as Long Term Disability insurances. Enrollment is calendar-year wit Active open enrollment each year. Benefit options and details will be disclosed during the interviewing process.
We are fully committed to equal opportunities for employment to all individuals regardless of race, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, and any other classification protected under the law. We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applications will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, familial status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.